Saturday, April 16, 2016

Lunch with Billy.

For the second time this week I needed to drive into Vancouver Washington to pickup/drop off meat rabbits from our farm. Everything is a “drive” from our home in the “woods”, but Vancouver is a two hour drive from home. So after the long drive and then taking care of farm business it was time for a pit stop. Literally right before getting back on the highway to head home was a Burger King. This was a prefect place to pit stop. They even had cute little signs on the doors that very much explained how I was feeling!


I was in a hurry. Run in, run out.

But……..on the way in I notice that outside, kind of hidden next to the door, was someone sleeping with a blanket over their head. I did the run in, run out thing and was almost back to the car when I was reminded by God that I am to feed the hungry. I reasoned in my mind, that person is sleeping, and I am in a hurry to get on the road, and… and… yes God, I know what I told you…every time I see a homeless person sitting next to a restaurant that I would feed them. I must have looked funny as I walked back and forth in the parking lot trying to make up my mind. Then I remembered when I have not obeyed. That doesn’t feel good. So I went and stood by this pile of bags and blankets and started talking to it. Are you waiting for someone? Yes, it answered. Are you hungry? Yes, it answered. The blanket moved and a young, very young looking man got to his feet. I asked him, how old are you? 19. He looked 16. He gathered his belongings and we went inside.

Inside he ordered a #7 and I got a Pepsi. We sat in a booth while people stared. I’ve done this many times, so it doesn’t bother me. I love to hear peoples stories. Everyone has one. Some are pretty sad.

His name was Billy. He was dirty. A baseball cap covered his shaved red hair, and he had on a very wrinkled winter jacket. He ate.... I asked questions. He was from a Christian home. He started messing with meth at 14. He is suppose to be on probation in Portland. But, he is in Washington. He says that they have given up on him. He says he can’t go home until he takes care of some things….

As he eats and we talk his eyes show hopelessness. He knows the Bible. He knows that he can be forgiven. He is not ready. He is in bondage. Billy shared that he likes helping others, he “found” a package of new blankets and is looking forward to passing these out to others. He has a kind heart.

Near the end of his meal a “friend” showed up to talk with him. This guy was no good news. I told Billy this when he got back. “That guy is just using you.” Billy said, I know…

I talked about freedom, Gods plan for his life, turning his life around, new starts, and getting away from this “user friend”. He picked out an orange New Testament and zipped it into a side pocket of his jacket. He said someone ripped off his Bible! Can you believe that! He said. In that booth in Burger King I prayed for him. I spoke truth and freedom into his life. He covered his eyes because they were wet. Then he thanked me for lunch and headed off down the street, alone.

If I was a man I would have driven him someplace safe. God has a plan for this boys life. Please pray for Billy, for that is why I wrote this. His life matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment