Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Abbynormal Memory----Library Books

I recently bought another used book online. Not a big deal, many people buy books online. Most books I buy are hardback with their dust jackets on. I always remove the jacket and put it someplace safe until I am done reading the book. I don’t want to damage the jacket. Then when I am done reading the book I replace the dust jacket and place it on my book shelf next to other books of the same category. I have kept record of all the books I have read for many years now. About 16 years ago I was reunited with my high school librarian, Merilyn. At the end of each year she sends out a letter and it always includes a list of her most favorite book reads of that past year. I loved this idea and started keeping track of my books also.

Lunch with Merilyn in 2007



Well, back to the recently bought book. It was used, like 99% of my books, but this one was a past library book. It had on a plastic jacket protection cover put on by the library to keep the jacket safe. When I opened the book and heard the sound of the crinkly plastic cover a flood of memories flashed past. I loved that sound! I had forgotten about it. I remembered back to when I was a Library Aid in high school and how much I loved handling all the books. I loved when new books came in and the plastic cover was extra crinkly and the smell of a new book. I think only readers of books can appreciate that. It is a very relaxing sound, turning pages and hearing the cover make crinkly noises. Very close to the feeling of sitting next to a fireplace.

On the inside of my “new” used book was a little pocket with a card in it! Back before scanners they used a hand stamp . The librarian would open up her ink pad, gently tap her stamp upon the ink, then carefully lining up the stamp with the proper line on the card she would stamp the due back date. How fun! It was almost like getting your passport stamped. It meant that this book was to be read, if the book had lots of stamps you knew it was loved!

I am going to go put a log on the fire and open up a good book!

Please feel free to post your own book loving memories in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment