Friday, March 25, 2016


Abbynormals Pet Bird---Introducing Sparky the Starling.


When we built our chicken coop we included 3 built-in wild bird nesting boxes of different sizes with removable backs for cleaning or peeking. A couple of years ago a pair of starlings started nesting in one of these boxes, right above the chicken door, almost at eye level. They are bold birds! With each clutch there seemed to be one baby that would always fall out (maybe pushed) not sure. So I researched and I found a great web site about starlings and their care. http://www.starlingtalk.com/index.htm 
I discovered that they can make great pets and even learn to talk! They are not a protected bird, meaning people can destroy nests and even shoot them, whenever they want. Soooo, I decided that I would raise up a starling as a pet and thus I set forth learning and getting ready for my new baby. Baby birds imprint at around 8-10days old. So I calculated hatch date by the pretty blue egg shells on the ground below the nest box and the sound of hungry baby birds. Eight days later I became a mother!
my little Pterodactyl

I named my little dinosaur looking bird “Sparky”, which would work for a male or female. She ended up being a female. The first thing Sparky got was a dust bath for mites, then she got fed. Starlings are insectivores and need a high protein diet. So a mixture of cat food, hard boiled egg and applesauce was her main meal.
I am hungry, AGAIN!
It didn’t take long before she was eating a lot and often, about every 20-40 mins during the day that first week, then about every 60-120 mins till 6-8 weeks or until she was feeding herself. I have raised up orphaned baby birds before, but some how you forget how much work it is. Sparky went everywhere with me those first 6+ weeks! When I had a trip to town, she went also. With her cage strapped into the seat and food to go, we went. When she was still very tiny I would tuck her in the middle of my sports bra. That would keep her warm and I am sure my heart beat was soothing to her. When she got hungry, she would let me know by loud chirping. I would then stop my shopping and head out to the car to feed her.

She grew fast like all little birdies do. Her first feathers were a boring plain gray. No “sparkles” till around 60+ days.
See my spots at 74 days & always hunting

I would give her flying lessons in my room with my bed as a landing spot. She learned fast and loved exploring my room. Starlings are like having a flying 2 year old in the house. She was and still is into everything! They are hunters in the wild, and all she does is hunt and hunt! Everything goes into her mouth, just like a toddler. She uses her beak to lift, open, poke, prod, and flip everything! Everything! AND she really loves toes!  She goes after every crumb or speck on the floor. So before letting her out of her cage I inspect the room/house and keep it childproof. Hahaha. Starlings can fly up to 50mph! That said, I keep windows covered when she is out.

Unlike parrots and other “pet shop” birds, starlings don’t like to be petted or touched. But, they want to be on you all the time, unless she is hunting or getting into stuff.
Removing book marks.

When I walk from room to room she follows me and rides on my head or shoulders. Sometimes she gets a wild hair and she goes zigzag flying around the house at warp speed and screeching! It is funny to watch. I have watched her catch bugs mid-flight. Our house is mostly bug free thanks to her.

At around 4 months of age Sparky started talking. She was very shy at first and would practice her words in private. As time went on she got bolder and we noticed that if we put music on or when I am washing the dishes she would talk more. Her first word was, Sparky. Now she says, “Sparky is a good girl, yes you are” and “Jesus loves you”. Plus many other noises and whistles.

She is very entertaining and when we watch a movie (after the popcorn is gone) she joins us. She usually finds a high spot to sit and talk during the movie.

Daniel built Sparky an indoor aviary. So when she is not out with us she can explore and fly about in her cage.
 

Starlings love water. I keep a small tub of water within the bathroom tub for her to bathe in. Sometimes she is in that water 5-6 times! She loves her baths. But, of course, after she bathes she has to land on our shoulders and shake! After each bath she spends a good amount of time preening her feathers and making herself beautiful.


Sparky all sparkled out!
She is 8 months old now. She is nothing like what I thought a pet starling would be, yet she is much more then what I could have imagined. She can never be set free, for people are her flock, and she has not learned how to survive in the wild. Starlings can live around 18 years and there are some neat stories, videos and books about them.

One book I read is called, "Arnie the Darling Starling" by Margarete Sigl Corbo and Diane Marie Barras.


A beautiful Wild Starling, Photo from the internet.

Sparky is now 3 years old. Here she is checking out her Birthday Present.




No comments:

Post a Comment